Managing legal battles with family

What You Should Do If You've Suffered an Injury While Out and About

Everyone is entitled to feel safe and secure as they are out and about conducting their daily business. You need to feel as if you are protected whenever you enter a shop or office to conduct some business, or if you're just walking around in a public place. In fact, the law requires that the people or organisations that own or control these facilities maintain a high standard of care and in certain circumstances can be liable if they don't. If you've been injured while at one of these properties, you need to know what to do next. How do you proceed against the operator or owner of this place?

Standards of Protection

Whenever you step outside of your own property, you enter an area that is owned by another entity. This could be a public path or a street, which is owned by (typically) a government entity, or it could be a place of business owned by somebody else. All of these facilities do, nevertheless, need to be well maintained and safe. If they are not and you suffer injury as a consequence, the Civil Liability Act can protect you.

This Act allows you to claim against the owner or operator of the facility and look for compensation if you have suffered loss. All of these facilities do, therefore, need to maintain public liability insurance just in case something should happen. Often, this is mandated as part of a licence for doing business, but it is always common sense when you consider the risk.

Analysing the Risks

There are many different ways that you can be injured, quite apart from falling over and hurting yourself. For example, you might come up with a case of food poisoning due to a restaurant not maintaining the proper level of hygiene. You may also have been hurt due to your interaction with a defective product that you bought.

Your kids could be hurt while playing in a public park or a school playground. You might have a claim against a dog owner if you've been attacked and bitten in a public place. In certain circumstances, you may have a civil case to claim against somebody who physically assaulted you.

What Can You Get?

A variety of different laws are in place to cover all these eventualities, but you should know that laws do differ when comparing public places to private property. You may well be able to claim for suffering and loss of earnings, in addition to any direct payments you may need to make after the incident. Sometimes you will get a lump sum in compensation, while at other times you might be paid in instalments.

Moving Forward with Your Case

Remember that you will always need to gather as much information as possible to bolster your case. The insurance companies will intend to vigorously defend their position at all times and are very good at their jobs. Consequently, in addition to gathering together as much photographic evidence as you can and getting the details of witnesses, make sure that you maintain a top-class personal injury lawyer to help you.